Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vintage Knitting Book - 1939

This was another great find by my niece, Kylie. Haven't the styles changed a lot in the past 70 years. It's kind of hard to believe that I own a book that is so old.

 
I can totally imagine my Mum wearing something like this when she was a teenager.


 
I could see someone wearing this today, even with the slightly puffy sleeves.


 
I guess they knitted just about everything you needed to wear during the depression. 



I could just imagine a librarian wearing one of these.



 
A lot less frilly than the bed jacket I shared the other day. 


 
I hadn't heard of pilchers in reference to a baby in a very long time. 
I don't suppose some younger Mums would even know what they were.
Can you imagine that the baby in this photo is probably a grandparent or even a great grandparent now? 

 
I remember my Mum buying this soap (and Camay) when I was little. Do they make Lux any more? 


 
Don't you love these old ads? 

 I still have some more photos to share but I will leave that for later on. I don't want to overload you with pictures :) 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!! 

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Don't you just love the old magazines?!!! :-)) I didn't know what pilchers were...so I 'Googled it'! ^_^ Who knew they were diapers?! I didn't!! But I do now!...And yes, I think Lux soap is still around!...By the way, a shop on Etsy is selling your book too! :-))

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76132946/lux-knitting-for-1939-21-war-era-designs

Just when you think it's so old...like us!...that no one could possibly think it's valuable!! Ha! Ha!

Thanks for the nice post Jo! It's fun looking back in time...and knowing you could recreate it with a pair of needles! ^_^

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Poetess, thanks for the link to the Etsy shops. I just checked it out. Who would've thought that someone else had kept a copy :)

The pilchers, are more of the cover to go over cloth nappies/diapers. Kind of like underwear. Sometimes you buy them in plastic so that the cloth nappy doesn't leak every where.

I'm glad you liked the post. It is great that we can create something using vintage patterns knowing that someone made the same thing many years ago :)