Pages

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Meet Tux

Linux pretty much rules in our house, except on my computer. There are some programs that I use that have no linux substitutes available and I won't change my operating system until the programs I use are penguin friendly or there is an appropriate substitute available. Plus there are some advantages of still running a Windows machine, some electronic things just wont work with Linux. That is one reason why Mark always looks for gadgets that play nice with penguins.

Now back to Tux. Tux is the official mascot for Linux. Geeks love him. We love him. When Mark saw the penguin pattern in my new knitting book he asked me to make him one. I did. Easy to knit up, fiddly to sew but sooooo cute to look at!

Mark said I should make more so that we can give them away to people who use linux. Especially to the new users. Not a bad idea. I'll think about it :D

6 comments:

Kate Campbell said...

He's great - my son would adore him and he's almost 18 - but he's a real Linux fan :)

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Kat, Tux is such a cute mascot! Mark would be glad to hear that your son is a Linux fan. He's tried to convince everyone to use it.

PoetessWug said...

The penguin is cute...but what is a Linux?!! I'm sure it's something Australian, or at least not something from my area, but I've never even heard of it!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thanks Poetess :)

Linux is an alternative operating system. Its was designed to provide personal computer users with a free or a very low cost operating system similar to windows/macs. It's what is called open source, which means that software programs for Linux can be used, redistributed or written free of charge & is usually created by volunteers.

I hope this helps explain it. We're a house of Geeks so computers are out thing :)

PoetessWug said...

I don't know if you're going to get this, but...I heard Charlie Brown's teacher talking as I was reading about what Linux is! Ha! Ha! ha!...But thanks for trying!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

lol Poetess, I love Charlie Brown!