Pages

Friday, January 07, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!

Happy Birthday Dad!

Dad turned 83 today. We phoned him up this morning to wish him a happy birthday. Dad told us we were his third phone call for the day. That my sister, Vicki, phoned him up to say that she was taking him out to lunch. He sounded pretty excited about it. It means that he wont have to cook his own dinner tonight. Dad likes it when he doesn't have to cook, so he eats lunch out at least a couple of times a week.
His other phone call was from Auntie Barb, his baby sister. It kind of surprised me that Auntie Jean hadn't phoned. She is usually the first one to call him. I guess she is just busy & will phone him later.

I worry a bit about Dad these days. After all he is in his 80's now. He seems to be getting more forgetful. Each time we talk on the phone he tells me at least one story that he has told me before. I let him tell me again. I don't want him to worry that he is repeating himself.

Vicki & I have spoken about how Dad should put his name down on the list for the local nursing home. Vicki mentioned it to him once and he was terribly offended. He said as long as he was capable of doing things for himself that there is no way on earth would he allow himself to be put in a nursing home. His Dad (my Grandpop) passed away in one back in the mid 1970's. I would love to tell him how they have changed since then but I am afraid that would only make things worse. I don't want him to be grumpy with me (call me a scary-cat! I like being his favourite rofl)
At least if Dad puts his name down its on the list, even if he never EVER needs it. That the option is there. He may not need it for years. If anyone needs to find a place for him later on he may end up stuck on the other side of the city away from all of his family because there are no vacancies in anything that is closer. I guess we will worry about that later.

Anyway, its Dad's birthday. He was happy to hear from us. He received his birthday present yesterday (thanks Australia Post for not losing it!) All is good for him today & that is all that matters right now!