Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Holiday Memories

Thanks to Kate over at Picklebums for this topic. I hope she doesn't mind that I borrowed the idea.

I agree with Kate that holiday memories as a kid get jumbled up & that sometimes you just don't remember all of the details either.

I remember one year when Mum was on holiday in Fiji with her bestie. Dad, my brother Mark & I went camping along the Murray River in Morgan. We slept in a tent & ate cold baked beans straight out of the tin for breakfast!

I also remember another time Mum was on an overseas holiday with her bestie that Dad, my brother & I went to Streaky Bay to see my sister. It was around the time that the movie Blue Fin was being made. Julie was working at the hospital in Streaky. We had our dog, Kym, with us. She was an adorable Alsatian. I love her to bits!

I also remember another time that Mum, Dad, Mark & I went to Geelong to visit Uncle Johnny & Auntie Maria. I also remember swimming at the beach & something about shark nets.

I also remember during that same Geelong holiday I had to bathe in the laundry sink because there was no bath tub & I didn't quite get the hang of showers back then. So Mum washed me in the sink.

I remember visiting Julie & her hubby Ken when they used to live in Cummins. Its somewhere near Port Lincoln.

I remember visiting Port Lincoln but I don't recall what we did there. Only the fact that we drove there to do some shopping.

I remember driving to Whyalla to visit Auntie Ce & Uncle Ivor when we were on our way to Cummins. I remember on that same trip we dropped off our cousin Janine. She was staying wit out Auntie & Uncle for a while. I don't remember if we picked her up on our way home.

I remember one time we went to Port Elliot, near Victor Harbour. I remember Mum & Dad rented a little place for us to stay in. I also remember walks along the beach & by the waters edge. I also remember Mum & Dad saying don't get wet but I did any way.

I remember going for a walk on the jetty in Victor Harbour. I recall something about a train that travelled over to some little island. I also recall looking out towards some rocks in the harbour somewhere.

I remember staying somewhere near the Coorong with another of Mum & Dad's friends and their family. I remember staying in this shack. Although I don't remember anything else except the fact that there was a lot of sand.

I also remember staying in our neighbours shack in Moonta. And I remember Mum eating periwinkles. They looked too much like garden snails to me.

I am sure that we went on many other holidays. I just don't remember them all. Some of them I don't even recall how old I was when we went on them. I guess it doesn't matter really. The fact that I remember them all and think of them fondly is all that counts.

No comments: