Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Bushfires


Here it is six days after what they are now calling Black Saturday and the fires are still going. They got way too close to home if you ask me but there are still people in town here that have no idea how close it got. I heard a couple of old ladies talking the other day about the fire but they didn't seem to understand how close it was for our town.

The picture above, well part of a pdf file, from the CFA site that shows the areas burnt in out area. We live near the one that shows the Bunyip State Part/Forest.

Brodie's school was closed all week due to the fires. We even got a phone call today so tell us that it will still be closed on Monday. At this stage they have no idea about the rest of next week. There was a mention that they will be teaching the kids in Warragul if the school is still closed on Tuesday. They will let us know if that happens.

There are still some road closures in our area and these roads are only open to local residents. I've been checking the CFA website and there are still lots of fires around here. Poor Angus cringes every time he hears about the fire or when he sees the website. He's relieved though, as the rest of us are, that the death toll hasn't risen (181) for a few days although that is still expected to climb. There are around 2000 homes lost with about 7000 people now made homeless.

I've still not hear from my g/f since last Saturday night. I know that she was okay then but I would love to hear from her. I've tried her mobile a couple of times but its probably flat now as I doubt she would've had her charger with her when she left town. I could try again later I suppose or just wait a bit longer. I just want to know how hey are coping and if I can help with anything.

No comments: