Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Recipe - Spicy Beef in Lettuce Cups

Spicy Beef in Lettuce Cups
This is a diabetic friendly recipe. In fact I got it out of the Nov/Dec 2011 Diabetic Living magazine (the Australian Issue that is). I did change it a little though as the amounts were only for 2 people. I added extra so it would serve 4.

1 medium sweet potato, finely chopped
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used 3)
2 teaspoons canola oil
250g (1/2 pound) extra-lean beef mince (ground beef) [I used double that amount]
1-2 teaspoons minced ginger (I buy mine already minced)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I cheated and used crushed from a jar I had in the fridge)
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chilli sauce (I used 2)
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (I didn't have any so I used soy sauce instead)
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander stalks
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
lettuce leaves, enough to line some bowls for serving
lime wedges to serve (I also added some red capsicum I had in the fridge)

Put the sweet potato in a shallow microwave dish. Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover & cook on high for 3 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan. Add the beef mince, ginger, garlic & lemongrass. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the meat in brown.

Add the vegetables, chilli sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and coriander stalks. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in the coriander leaves.

Put the lettuce in the bowls. Top with beef mixture. Add the lime wedges.

This was a really quick meal to prepare. Mark & the boys really liked it. I think this is one I can make again another time. My BGL was pretty good afterwards too which was great :)

No comments: