Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You Sew & Sew

I'm not that crash hot at using the over-locker that I was talked into buying a few years back. In fact I think I have only ever used it twice. So when Angus wanted to make a new pencil case Mark wanted to show him how to use the over-locker because he knows how to use it and I don't.


Angus had some fun playing with the over-locker but no one was sure how to use it to sew on a zipper.


In the end Angus cut the sides of the material that he had already sewn and got my sewing machine out instead. At least we knew how to use that. Angus couldn't remember how to sew on the zipper (he had learnt to do that a couple of years ago in textiles). So I looked up good old youtube for a video on how to do it. Thank goodness for videos and using them as a learning tool as I had never sewn a zip onto anything before.


Poor Angus wanted to make his new pencil case but I ended up taking over. I don't think he minded too much. He wanted to go for a walk to the shops with Brodie. Angus's pencil case isn't much of a pencil case at all, it's more of a pouch for his memory sticks and a couple of other knick-knacks.


It had been a while since I have done any sewing. I had forgotten how satisfying it is to make something and have it finished so quickly. Now that I know how to sew a zip into place I might just have to make a few more of these small pouches.

4 comments:

PoetessWug said...

It came out really good!...I sew my zippers on by hand, on the rare times I have to do it. I don't like the sewing machine at all!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thanks Poetess. I did think about sewing by hand but I decided that using the sewing machine would make it stronger. Especially since it was one of my boys using the finished item. They really aren't that gentle with their things. Plus my hands tend to cramp when I do a lot of hand sewing.

Empty Nester said...

And there it is- the reason I don't like sewing--nothing ever gets completed quickly enough for me. It takes too darn long! Nice pouch!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thanks EmptyNester :)