Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Back Luck Comes In Threes

My Mum always told me that bad luck runs in threes and it seemed to me that even famous people seemed to pass away in lots of threes. I am truly hoping that this run of bad luck with the car is well and truly OVER as we have had three things go wrong within a matter of three weeks. I am getting tired of the number 3!!

Firstly we had problems with the gas converter freezing up. There was a leak with the water/cooling system that prevented the converter from icing up. It was no wonder the car kept cutting out on me on the way to Church the other week. There was NO gas getting through so the car was awfully sluggish. Thank goodness it was nothing major but it put a HUGE dent in the wallet as it cost me over $350 for a new converter. It worked out to be cheaper to just buy a new unit than to repair the older one. We were told that once something goes wrong with the unit it was highly likely that something else would go in it too like a seal or something. Plus I was told repairing it might cause more problems as things were 'fragile' for want of a better word and more likely to be broken. Whatever!

Then the battery in the car was dying. There were times in the morning that I though we would never be able to get the car started and the kids, well Brodie mostly, would be stuck at home instead of being able to get to school. I am so grateful that this particular item only cost $100 to replace. Although that was earlier this week and our food budget became dramatically smaller for this week... good thing we have been stocking the pantry & we could live off that.

The other night when Mark was towing his brothers motorbike back from the next town after it was getting a roadworthy the radiator gave up the ghost! We knew we had some problems with it and we were planning on saving up to get it checked out & serviced but I certainly didn't think it would happen so soon. Once again I am so grateful that I had my ING account from which to transfer some saving from. My savings account is now another $180 lighter but at least we have a new (well second hand reconditioned) radiator in the car.

I truly have to thank Mark for being my Mr Fixit! He has so many talents and one of them is being a mechanic! He has saved us so much more money thank I even wish to think about. He has been fantastic. Big thanks hon. I really do appreciate all the things that you can do about the place. I would be lost without you & your skills.

I just truly hope that like I said earlier .. bad luck runs in threes and that we have had our fair share.

No comments: