Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

It's St. Patrick's Day~ and you know what that means? Everyone is Irish today even if you're not!

I tease my boys about being Irish. Their father was born in Portadown, Northern Ireland. His family moved out here to Australia in 1966. Probably the smartest move they ever made. They were 10 Pound Poms, you can find out what that means HERE if you're interested.
Even though the boys father & his family have lived here for so long not one of them has become an Australian citizen (its a bit of a sore point for me but I wont bore you with the details). I guess they loved the 'old' country that much. Either that or they just never thought of citizenship. Oh well.

As I was saying I tease the boys about being Irish. They usually turn around and tell me they are only half Irish but they aren't. One of my great-grandmothers (Cecelia Honorah Wade) was born in Ireland. I have no idea whether she was from Northern Ireland or from Ireland. Either way she was Irish.

I think the boys love having an 'excuse' for the stuff ups they might do. They sometimes say things like "Oh Mum, you know we are half Irish!"

So at least for today the boys & I can say that we are Irish! Well our ancestors were =)
Even some of Mark's ancestors come from Ireland.

Do you claim to be Irish on St. Patrick's day? Were any of your relatives from Ireland? Do you wear green on St. Paddy's Day? I would love to hear about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I may have dome Irish blood somewhere along the line. My maternal great-grandfather was a Kreager (which sounds Irish to me). I'm ashamed to say I've never checked. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Unknown said...

Just as I hit publish, I noticed a typo. Hate that! Should say "some".

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Hi Beverly, Kreager sounds a little like a German name to me but I could be wrong.
I hope you've had a wonderful St. Patrick's day! :)