Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Gynaecologist Appointment

I apologise to any males that come along to check out my blog. You probably wont want to ready any further than this sentence. So unless you have psoriasis or a partner with gynie problems go & click that stumbleupon button or open a fave bookmark or something. With that said I'll now go on with my post.

I had my gynaecologist appointment this morning. Mark came along with me for moral support, for which I am very grateful. I was feeling rather jittery about it all for some reason. I don't know why. Not that it really matters at the moment. It went a lot better than I thought it would.
The doctor (Dr Mc) was friendly, polite, soft spoken and very reassuring. He was able to answer all of our question. Not that we had heaps of them but he was very helpful.

I mentioned how the hormone tablets I had been taking had helped my psoriasis to the point where I could see 'normal' skin through the patches & that the patches looked much thinner and less angry. Dr Mc said he hadn't really come across anyone before where this sort of thing happened. Well he wouldn't would he considering he is a gynaecolosit and not a dermatologist.
Anyway to cut a long story short. He said he saw no reason why I cannot continue with the hormone tablets (Primolut) as he knows of no long term effects that may prevent me from taking them. There is a small increase in the possibility of breast cancer but that isn't any reason why I should stop taking them if they help me, right? A small risk worth taking I think.

The other reason why I was there. Well not the other reason but THE reason I was there was because of my irregular heavy bleeding. Dr Mc said that he wants to get a 'sample' of my uterine lining (yuk!) but due to my age it needs to be done in theatre. Great I know things change when you get older but HEY I didn't think I was getting that old! So I am going to have an operation. While he is there he will suss things out, with a camera, to make sure nothing is wrong. He will also do a D&C and insert an IUD which has hormones in it, which should help with the bleeding.
I signed a consent form today for the procedure but I can't remember all that it said. Not that I really expected to remember it all. The usual sort of consent forms I guess stating that I give permission & that he can do anything within reason I suppose that will help.

I honestly don't like the idea of needing to go to theatre but I knew that there was a very good chance of it. I don't want it. I don't even want the IUD but if it helps stop the heavy periods there isn't much else I can do. If it doesn't work then we worry about that when it happens.

I have a medical questionnaire to fill in and send back to the hospital and then I just wait for them to contact me with a date for the procedure. Dr Mc said it may take up to three months before I get it but it may be sooner if there are cancellations. It just depends on how busy things are.

No comments: