Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

The Paediatrician, Our Bishop & Disability Services

I meant to write about this the other day but hadn't gotten around to it. I took Brodie to see the paediatrician last week for a check up and for him to fill in some forms for Centrelink. Anyway while we were there Michael said that Brodie has made some fantastic changes over the past few years. All in a positive way. It made me feel good to know that things for Brodie are moving in the right direction and that people can see the differences.

Yesterday while at Church our Bishop asked to see me. Mostly to for our tithing settlement but he wanted to catch up too because he hadn't seen me much for a while. That's mostly because I haven't always been well enough to go each week. Bishop mentioned that he had spoken with the Young Men's President about Brodie, well all the kids really, but he said how they both thought Brodie has come a long way since they first met him back in 2006.

Bishop explained that he is able to have a decent conversation with Brodie now without him getting angry & frustrated. He also stated that when he first met him it was easier to talk to a brick wall (to be honest I used to think that way about the boys father).

He also said that I have done a wonderful job in raising both boys. Of course I said it was a team effort and that there have been a lot of people involved and it has been a lot of hard work on everyone's part. I did remember to say thank you :)

I know I have said this already but it sure is good to know that people can see the huge difference in Brodie. They can see that he is a wonderful kid & he is able to show it. I must tell Brodie that there are so many people out there that can see how he has changed for the better. I just hope that he is able to show that at home more. Maybe he will once he knows what others think.

One last thing. I got a phone call from the Dept. of Human Services - Disability Services on Friday morning. We had put in an application with them back in January of this year and had our first interview with them at the same time. They were to review our case and contact various other agencies we had been in contact with to see if we qualified for their assistance. So here it is almost 6 months down the track and our application has finally been approved as of last Thursday. Of course once Brodie was accepted as a 'client' he will receive their assistance for life. I am so grateful that it was approved. Not that I didn't think we would be knocked back or anything but its so nice to get some good news.

No comments: