Pages

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Positions of Responsibility

After I picked Brodie up from the bus stop after school on Wednesday he told me something that I wasn't very happy with. Well he didn't tell me straight away but I wish he had, I would have phoned his school up immediately and demanded to know the whole story! As it was I didn't speak with the school until Thursday morning.

Brodie had a disagreement with his integration aide (who is also a part time English teacher at the school) early in the day. It seems that in their 'playful' mood that they sometimes get into things got out of hand. Brodie's aide had been mimicking him to the point where Brodie got annoyed and retaliated by grabbing the aides shirt. The aide then in turn grabbed Brodie's shirt and threatened him.
Brodie left the aide and went to see the Assistant Principal. He spoke with Brodie and calmed him down. Brodie was terribly upset, as you would be if you were threatened by an adult, and he was told he didn't have to return to class straight away. In fact Brodie was kept out of classes between recess and lunchtime. Apparently Brodie was so distressed he wanted to phone me immediately and have me come and collect him. The school should have phoned me straight away so I could have at least talked to Brodie and not wait until the next day to tell me about it.
Oh I know they had to 'investigate' the incident first but I should have been called!

I know Brodie can push everyone's buttons at the best of times and I lose my cool with him from time to time as anyone would in our situation. He shouldn't have grabbed his aides shirt and most certainly the aide should NOT have grabbed him back! I was really peeved by this action of his.

While on the phone with the Assistant Principal (AP) on Thursday I certainly let him know how disappointed I was in Brodie's actions. I had a really good talk with Brodie about what he could have done instead. I also let him know that in no uncertain terms was I impressed with the aides response to what Brodie had done. I explained that he had a position of responsibility to students in his care. That the offence in some cases would result in someone getting fired.

Now please don't think I want him sacked, because I don't, but I certainly want the school to know how I feel about all of this. I can understand both sides of the fence. It can be extremely difficult dealing with Brodie. The AP said that he was going to talk with the Principal about how I felt, he said he was writing my comments down, and he had spoken with him the previous day about the 'incident'.

I thought that I would have heard either Thursday afternoon or on Friday whether any further action was going to be taken or not but I hadn't. You can guess what I will be doing on Monday morning! Hmm maybe I might even go up to the school and find out exactly what is going to happen, if anything at all. I wont let them push this 'under the table'

No comments: