Pages

Monday, February 09, 2009

School is Closed

I used to whinge about all the days that Brodie gets off of school due to the school closures or pupil free days that they have at his High School. Well due to the bushfires there are 38 schools closed just in Gippsland alone let alone the rest of the state. Sadly the list seems to be growing and growing.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Brodie's HS principal stating that the school would be closed today due to the fires. He said we should listen to the ABC radio to find out if school is back on for Tuesday because at this stage he didn't know.

Shortly afterward that phone call I got one from Angus's school to let me know that the Camp at Rawson that was due to start today was cancelled and hopefully would be on at a later date. I was also told that all buses to his school would be cancelled because they were currently being used to transport the fire fighters. If I wanted Angus to attend school I needed to either let him walk or drive him in.
I also got an email from Angus's HS stating that they could not contact all of the 500 families and that if I knew how to contact any they would be grateful if we could pass on the message. At that stage I found how that 11 local schools would be closed. I didn't realise it would grow to such an extensive list for our area. I heard them call out up to 20 school for West Gippsland alone.

I learnt later that the school closures could be because of the road closures in the area, possible water contamination, structural damage or they could still at risk due to fire.

Angus went to school today. I thought it would be best that he had as normal a day as possible. Plus with Brodie home it could have been a lot louder and tense with both of being home. They started getting on each others nerves. I'm not too worried about Angus being at school today. If anything were to happen he is only 2.5 kms away and it would be easy to go and get him but I am sure everything will be fine.

No comments: