Pages

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Our Stake's Pioneer Trek

This is what I wrote in an email to my Spirit Sister the day Brodie left for Trek.

Brodie left for the Pioneer Trek this afternoon. He and Cal are brothers on the trip and will be in the same family group. Cal is, I guess you could say, his new best friend. Don't the kids look great! In fact he and Cal get along so well it's truly beautiful to see. They are almost like double trouble!! (well maybe not).

The best thing about this family group is that the Ma and Pa are a Bishop and his wife. I know Brodie will be in good hands with them. And Brodie is more likely to listen especially since Pa is a Bishop. He has more respect for Bishops than other people, not that he should be disrespectful if you know what I mean.

I was talking to one of the members from another ward while I was there. She said her Mum's ward had just done the trek. They had taken some baby dolls along with them and they passed away on the journey. She said that all the kids, including the boys, were bawling their eyes out.
I was then told that there will be younger children joining the Trek and these children will 'pass away' too. They will have family members coming along to collect them as the little ones wont be able to cope with all the walking and the hardship.


Some of the stories I heard about previous treks would make some kids think twice about going. I was told that there was a family that had a limited amount of food for a meal, such as a packet of nuts for lunch. One family had nothing for dinner but the other families rallied around and shared what they had. Matt, who is in our ward (he's sitting down in the pictures - the one without the hat) said that his family had the most and nest meal that night while on the trek.

I know that Heavenly Father will look after all of the kids and the Ma's & Pa's, plus all the ancillary people who are helping out. He certainly wont give them more than they can take but I know he will make it an experience to remember and that they will be able to get the full experience like the Pioneers did. I just hope that Brodie will be on his best behaviour.

Another thing about Cal - our Bishop told me that Cal asked the organisers to be placed in the same family as Brodie. I guess that he had been prompted to ask. Cal will be able to help keep Brodie focussed and encourage him to do his best.


No comments: