Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Meeting At Home

We had the Bishop come over last night. I had been wanting to talk with him for a while now and he was visiting a member in the next town over from us so he said he would call in to speak with us. I mostly wanted to speak with him about Brodie but we spoke about a lot of things. I think I really needed to hear what he had to say.

I don't know if I have mentioned all of the things Brodie has been up to of late. Taking off for hours at a time (but he has cut back on that a lot) which is why we got his phone activated. On most days we are walking on eggshells hoping and praying that he does not explode at us. His aggression and violence is becoming more frequent. Only the other day he got angry at Mark for speaking to him and threatening to take a knife to him. And as if on cue while the Bishop was here he got angry and swore and took off on us. Before Brodie took off outside (this was at 10 O'clock at night) he said we were lucky that the Bishop was here or it would've been much worse. In a small way I was glad that he 'exploded' a little in front of the Bishop so that he could see what Brodie could be like as he doesn't get to see that side of him at Church.

The Bishop doesn't know a lot about Aspergers Syndrome so I have let him borrow a book that I bought a while back so that he can find out more about it. I hadn't finished reading it all myself but I thought that the Bishop would be able to get something out of it that may help us that I hadn't thought of or something.

Bishop did say he wasn't sure what he could do for us as yet as he is no expert in this sort of thing. Mark and I both said that we understood that but at least he will be able to point us in the right direction. Especially in one where we have like minded people with the same ideals that will help us spiritually as well as in support for both Mark & I and the boys.

Bishop also asked about Angus. Wanting to know how he is feeling and coping. So we told him about how well Angus is doing at school ad the plans that we have made for him for next year when he starts High School. He too thought it was a good idea to have the boys going to separate schools. He was kind of surprised that Angus will be going into High School next year. I tell you what so am I (surprised that is) - he is growing up to fast!
It makes me feel that we are doing the right things for him especially with the decision about school and the fact that he is playing a sport that he loves. He is so keen to play again next year and this years season isn't even over yet.

So by the time the Bishop left we had a few ideas on what we could do to help ALL of us. Like making sure we read scriptures daily (it is so easy to fall into the habit of not doing it regularly), doing FHE each week - Bishop suggested that we do the seminary manual at least that way I wont have to nag Brodie to do it, we will all benefit from it and it will help Angus in the long run in preparation for when he has to start in a little over 2 years time. Hopefully soon we will be able to talk with LDS Social Services again and see what help they will be. I know that it will help its just a matter of when we get to see them.

I must admit I felt a whole lot better sharing everything with the Bishop. He is such a wonderful man to talk with and he listens to everything we have to say. He is just the best!

No comments: