Pages

Friday, July 20, 2018

Psoriasis Dilemma



When I saw my dermatologist on Wednesday I had a decision to make in regards to taking either acitretin or cyclosporin because the methotrexate I was taking was no longer helping. I chose cyclosporin. Which I was going to start last night as I needed to wait for my prescription to arrive at my chemist (they had to order it in). I picked up the script this afternoon.

BUT ... yesterday afternoon I received a phone call asking if I want to be in a clinical study for a biologic. My derm recommended me as I would be a good candidate. The study would involve my travelling in to Melbourne weekly for 16 weeks and monthly for approximately 9 months after that. A high level of commitment is required on my part but I am not a 100% sure I can do it. Also,  I would be guaranteed the biologic as it is a comparative study so I wont have to worry about receiving a placebo.

Here's the dilemma, if I go on the study I need to be off any oral medication for my psoriasis for a month before I can start this study (the idea of a flare is making me cringe). I will need to wait 2 to 3 weeks before I can have my initial consultation to see if I even qualify. I only have a short period of time to decide as there are only 450 places worldwide. It's a first in first served deal and the limited spaces are filling up.

OR I can just begin taking the cyclosporin and hope that works.

The idea of going on a biologic is very appealing. It's a way to jump straight to a biologic instead of having to try other options that medicare wants patients to try first before they even allow this 'new' stuff. However, I don't know if I will be able to fulfil the requirements for such a long period of time.

No comments: