Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Carbohydrate Counting Made Easier

With Mark being diagnosed as a diabetic last December and having to use a rapid acting insulin at meal times we had to start counting carbs for each meal.
It meant that when I cooked something new, that didn't have a nutritional panel on the packaging or recipe, I needed to work out all of the carbohydrates, tally them up and give Mark the total so he could work out the carb to unit ratio.

There has been times where Mark had not been eating because he had placed it in the too hard basket to work out the meals he was preparing for himself. Usually these were times when he was up at night and I was asleep. I would only then provide the total carbs with the main meal I had prepared for out tea/dinner. 

So to make our lives a little easier, especially if we had to be out somewhere & Mark wanted to eat, I purchased the Allan Borushek Calorie Fat and Carbohydrate counter. That way I can throw it in to my handbag so we could look up the total carbs for various things even the fast food places we might visit.



Of course I still think that I will need to add up the carbs for different meals but this will certainly make it easier for me and I wont need to keep running back and forth to the computer to look up the nutritional information.

No comments: