Pages

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Diabetes Update

I had my Diabetes Cycle of Care appointments on Thursday. It was time to get my height and weight checked (I hate the scales) and to see which services I might need to utilise and when I had my last checks with the optometrist, dentist, podiatrist, dietitian, diabetes educator, etc. I have found that I need to ask my GP to do the routine blood tests as well. I'm not sure that is a good thing or not. I know doctors get busy but to have to ask for tests to be done. At least he has a brilliant 'bedside' manner and explains things really well that makes up for it.

To be honest I have been feeling, for lack of a better term, burnt out when it comes to my diabetes. I am tired of checking my blood every day. I am tired of watching what I eat all the time. I want that piece of chocolate or that piece of cake when I want it and not just every so often. I don't have the energy to go for walks.
My hip and knees hurt far too often for my liking. I definitely have osteoarthritis in my right knee and I probably have it in my left also. I also have trochanteric bursitis in my left hip/leg. My GP has given me a request form for some x-rays so I shall get that done this coming week. My exercise physiologist has given me some exercises which should help, in his words, strengthen my bum muscles which in turn shall help my knees and hips.

I ended up seeing my diabetes educator yesterday. She said there really wasn't all that much that could be done about being 'burnt out'. That you just need to ride it out. Well that's great advice, NOT. She did however suggest that I see the practise nurse and talk to her about maybe seeing an osteopath and perhaps to even get a mental health plan started. It's worth a try I guess. If I don't look after myself who will look after Mark and the boys with their medical issues.


No comments: