Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Hypothyroidism & Tennis Elbow

I went to see my GP last Thursday. I had made my appointment the previous week and I almost cancelled it (well postponed) because I was sick. I know roll your eyes. Not going to see the doctor because you're sick is a silly thing, right?

Anyway, the reason for my visit was due to a blood test that I had done in June. Apparently my thyroid hormones weren't playing nice. My doctor and I had briefly spoken about it when I saw him soon after I had my last series of blood tests done. At the time he said let's just repeat the bloods in two months. I went back today to say that two months are up are we going to repeat the test? He took a much closer look at the results this time. He even showed me the computer screen so that I could see them. There were results from three separate blood tests that I have had done this year. He even drew a diagram of my thyroid and explained the hormones that it produces along with the pituitary gland. To cut a long story short it turns out that I have Hypothyroidism (an under-active thyroid).

Dr F. was quite laid back about it really. I now have more medication to take and I need to have another blood test in 2 - 3 weeks. Lucky me huh! I can't understand why he didn't do something about it earlier really if there was a problem. Hypothyroidism can be a bad thing.

I also mentioned my arm was still hurting but not the original complaint I had with my shoulder. So after more prodding and poking, with me wincing in pain, I get told some really long name of what I have that ends with "is" or "itis" not that I remember.  Dr. F then showed me a diagram after a google search to show me what the muscles looked like. I then see the name tennis elbow by one of the photos. So yay me! I have another label to add to my growing list of ailments.

I definitely need a new body. This one is wearing out.

No comments: