Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Pain In The Buttocks, Well It's Really In My Shoulder

image from google
I went and saw my GP yesterday afternoon. I now have an 'official' diagnosis. Well, I had a diagnosis before but this has definitely been confirmed now that I've had an ultrasound. Dr F. (my GP) even gave me a print out of the radiologists report.  I have a partial thickness incomplete tear of the supraspinitis tendon with associated subacromial bursal thickening causing impingement. In other words it is PAINFUL but thankfully not all the time.

For now we are just going with pain management. I have a different pain medication, tramadol, which I have never taken before so I only took one capsule last night after tea. It didn't seem to help all that much so I will try two some time later today. At least this hasn't affected my head like panadeine forte does. Codeine always makes me feel light headed and pays havoc with my system if I take them for long periods of time. I usually just put up with the pain for as long as I can. I reckon I rattle with the amount of medication I take anyway without taking any extra.

Dr. F said that he would refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon if I wanted to. I may go that road if things don't improve. The bad news is that it may take up to two years before my shoulder is back to 'normal'. I am crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and anything else that I can cross and hoping that it will not take that long. It's already been six months since I initially hurt my arm. I don't want another 18 months of this.

Wish me luck in a speedy recovery!

No comments: