Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Summer Heat

Summer is well and truly here. The mercury has told us so. With temperatures topping 41C yesterday (that's around 105F in the old scale) and a minor cool change arriving in the early hours of the morning providing some relief but there is more heat on the way. Along with the heat comes the risk of bushfires. Sadly that has happened in quite a few places over the past couple of days.

A eucalptus tree ignites near Dunalley, Tasmania. PIC:: Richard Jupe (courtesy of news.com.au
Fires are being fought across several hot spots in Tasmania. Lots of homes have been lost. It's devastating and it brings back vivid memories of Black Saturday (Feb 7 2009). It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

My heart goes out to those affected by the fires across Tassie and those in Victoria. There's a total fire-ban in New South Wales tomorrow and no doubt across South Australia too (they've already had several extremely hot fire danger days and more are expected next week). I'm crossing my fingers, sending good thoughts and saying prayers that the fires will be under control soon and that no more occur. I'm not sure if it will work but it doesn't hurt, right?

It makes me wonder if it is a wise decision to drive across to Adelaide next week. I can't change the dates for our trip away not if I want to take the boys with me. We need to be back for medical appointments towards the end of January and preparing for the beginning of the new school year. I'll be hoping and praying that the roads are clear and that there are no fires when we travel. It also makes me wish even more that Mark could go with us. I would feel much happier and safer if he did.

4 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Yikes! O_O Yeah, the fires would make me kinda nervous about driving a long distance too!!! I hope things cool down before you have to leave!!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Poetess, things have cooled down quite nicely at the moment but they are due to heat up again on Monday. Adelaide however is a different story. They're going to have several days in the high 90's and higher :( and we are travelling towards that - yuck!

WildflowerWool said...

Wow, that is hot. How terrible about the fires. Hope the heat wave doesn't last too long.

Jo-anne Blossy said...

WildflowerWool, it has cooled down for today. In fact there's a pleasant cool breeze right now but tomorrow is another story :(
Most of the fires have settled and have been downgraded but of course the fire fighters are still watching things closely for flare-ups.