Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Eyes Have It


This past week I have been having problems with my right eye. Nothing serious (well I don't think it is - it's been weepy and itchy & on Thursday it started swelling) but I went to the doctor to get it checked out. Get this. Our Doctors Clinic has 8 doctors working there. My GP however is on holiday until the middle of June. Knowing Dr. F he's probably visiting family in Europe.

I phoned the clinic on Wednesday but I was unable to see anyone until late Friday morning. I know that all of the doctors there work part time and with it almost being winter I guess they're pretty busy.

Anyway I saw a doctor yesterday, Dr. T. I've never seen him before and he was really nice and helpful although his accent made it a little difficult to understand him. I had to concentrate when he was speaking. Nothing against him he was just very softly spoken. After he put on some gloves, shone the light in my eye and had a look he gave me some antibiotic ointment to use for the next 4-5 days. He told me that he was a bit concerned about the lump/swelling that had formed, that it may be an infection of some kind & that if the ointment doesn't work he wants me back there next week. Oh and get this I had to rest my eye. How on earth does someone rest their eye? I can't not read, crochet or watch TV. Do I just close it while I try and do my regular activities or do I cover it with an eye patch and pretend to be a pirate arggghhhh?

Dr T said he was concerned about the swelling. Should I worry or do I just take it in my stride? I wasn't terribly worried before but eyes are really important aren't they. In fact if I had a choice I would rather have my sight and lose my hearing. Although I think that my hearing is slowly going. Living with a hearing impaired person means that the TV is turned up just that little bit louder & over time I have found that makes a difference to your own hearing.

So my dear internet friends, if you had a choice would you prefer to lose your sight or your hearing? I would love to know (~_o)


2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

First, let me say...DON'T FOOL AROUND WITH YOUR EYES!! They're sensitive and need attention! But don't worry until you need to. The swelling could be because something got in there and didn't come out! The eye will coat that 'bad boy' like a clam coats a piece of sand!! LOL Hopefully the antibiotic will work and you won't have to worry about it further....As to my choice, sight or hearing. I already know Sign Language, so it's an easy choice for me. But I'd rather lose NEITHER, thank you very much! LOL

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Poetess, I would prefer to not lose either as well but I too know some sign language.
Don't worry I am looking after my eye. Although I have only been using the ointment for the past 24 hours I can't see much of a difference yet. I do have my fingers crossed though.