Pages

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

A Horse Holiday!

Have you ever known anyone who gets a public holiday for a horse race? No? Well you have now!!

Today is Melbourne Cup Day! It's held on the first Tuesday in November every year. This year they are celebrating 150 years of the cup. The race itself is known as "The Race that STOPS the Nation!" and it pretty well does too. I hardly know of anyone that doesn't stop what they are doing to listen to the race. I'll probably watch this years one on the TV as well.

this is last years winner (image from ninemsn wide world of sport)
Shocking is also in this years race.

I don't bet on the race. I've not done that for years but I hear that millions of dollars are spent on this race every year. A waste of money if you ask me. I have much better things to do with mine (like spending it on yarn/wool) but each to their own I guess.

Anyway I'm enjoying the fact that the kids aren't at school today. I got to sleep in (always a good thing in my books!) A day at home to rest, knit & play on the computer! :)

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

I agree with you about the money thing. I don't gamble...in any form! My time and money is too precious, and my God has principles about such things. Don't want to displease him, for sure!! :-)...And yeah for you getting to sleep in!!! No alarms, and no loud skyping to interrupt your beauty sleep! And now...all day to knit! Have fun! :-]

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thank you Poetess, I had a lovely day. I even managed to finish sewing another Santa & began another one. I'll be tired of making all of these Santa's soon.
Now it's time for me to get some beauty sleep :)