Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Melting Moments (And I don't mean the biscuits)

Angus & I went to Church this morning leaving Brodie at home because he was feeling nauseous (he's been feeling like that a lot lately but I don't think anything is wrong with him its probably just nerves or something). While Brodie was home he was meant to do his Music assignment from school. I'm glad to say that he did work on it. I haven't checked out how much he has done yet.

We left Church earlier than usual. I would have loved to have stayed because its soup Sunday. The name speaks for itself really. Some of the Sisters make a soup to share on the third Sunday of the month. Sad to say we had to leave early because I had forgotten to put the corned beef into the slow cooker so that it would be ready in time for tea & I had forgotten my mobile phone so I was unable to ask Mark or Brodie to get it ready. I do love my 'different corned beef' dish. Its so yummy!

Once at home I got the silverside prepared & asked the boys to do a couple of little jobs. Angus was taking out some boxes to the bin. Brodie began barking orders about how the boxes needed to be broken up to fit into the bin. I said that they didn't need to be. That was NOT good enough for Brodie however. He decided to smack Angus in the back of the head then proceeded to tell me that he didn't know why he had done it. Of course I knew the reason. I had observed the whole thing.

I don't know what happened after that. I mean I don't know why things escalated to where they did. Mark had come inside to find out what was going on & I explained what had transpired. Brodie was getting really defensive (as he does when he gets caught out). He spoke louder & louder as if he thought that would get his point across. He started threatening Mark with physical violence. Brodie challenges Mark a lot. It's like he wants to be boss cocky ALL the time! Both Mark & I tried to get him to go for a walk so that he could calm down.

I swear it was almost like seeing him change. He seemed to go into little kid mode. Only thing was he isn't a little kid & he was still LOUD and very angry. Brodie said 'where do I go? I have nowhere to go' All we had said was put your shoes on and go for a walk. 'Where?' he screams. Just around town I said. I just wanted him out of the house so that he could calm down.
He finally went.

Poor Angus you could see the hurt on his face. I think I heard him say during all of this, "not again". He apologised for the meltdown. It's wasn't his fault. Both Mark & I told him that he didn't start it.

I know that these meltdowns don't happen all the time but when they happen they REALLY happen. I am tired of Brodie's threats of violence. He said he was going to smash things & that he wanted to smash Mark's head through the glass door. There are days where I just wish this would all just disappear & never happen again. I know that will never happen but one day they might be a lot 'calmer' than other meltdowns.

Right now Brodie is back in his bedroom. He's probably on his laptop. I just hope that when he eventually emerges from his room he is in a much better frame of mind.

4 comments:

PoetessWug said...

WOW! Tough situation. I'm glad you were able to rally yourself and calm things back down. Keep hanging in there!

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thank you Poetess. Considering what happened this afternoon tonight was pretty calm & much quieter.

Deb said...

How old is your boy Angus? My son Angus just turned 7, he'll be going into second grade in just a few more weeks.
It sure sounds like you have your hands full my friend! You're doing a great job, know you are blessed.

xoxox starspring on twitter :)

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thank you.
7 is such a wonderful age Deb. I remember when my Angus was in Grade 2. He grew up so much that year.
My Angus is 13 (& a sometimes know-it-all teenager)