Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Taste Of Summer

I'm not very good at this daily blog writing but at least I am beginning to post more regularly again. Much better than I was before at least. Sometimes I think I should print off all my posts too so that if anything happens to this site I will have a copy of what I've written. Maybe one day I will get around to it. In the meantime I will just have to cross my fingers nothing happens to the servers.

We've had a mini heat wave here these past two days with temps of 37C (100F) .. a real taste of summer and to be honest I truly don't like summer all that much. I really prefer spring with its mild days and cool to cold nights. I know it is still spring now but I am so over this taste of summer already lol.

I phoned the High School this morning to arrange for a time to come up and talk with the middle years coordinator about the electives Brodie wishes to do next year any my concerns over his choices. I am so glad I phoned as I found out that there is going to be a 'strike' (they called it an industrial action - sounds more posh I suppose) and that Brodie will not be required at school tomorrow. So I had better ask at the Primary School tonight if Angus is required there not not. Truthfully I don't want both boys home unless there is no other choice. Angus already had yesterday off school as it was a Pupil Free day where the teachers were planning and programming for next year. Back to the phone call I have arranged to go up tomorrow as the coordinator will still be there but the Assistant Principal, Graeme, was going to confirm it with her first. He will phone back to let me know if there are any changes.

Back to the Primary school for a minute. Our Principal hasn't been at school for the past few weeks. He hasn't been all that well at all this year. He called in on Friday morning and told the children (and staff of course) that he wont be back at all this year and for all of next year as he has cancer. More specifically he has merkel cell carcinoma (National Cancer Institute UK) which is a form of skin cancer. He will be starting radiotherapy and chemotherapy as soon as possible and needs to take all of this time off for recovery. He also said that he didn't want to disrupt the children's learning with too many changes of teachers like they have had this year. I felt so sad about this when I heard. Poor Ian. I can only imagine how his family is feeling. He has been such a wonderful support for me while the boys were in Primary School. I'll definitely be keeping him in my prayers and I am hoping he has a full and speedy recovery. I know Angus will miss him terribly as he really likes Ian a lot.

I joked with Angus on the way to school this morning about the new Principal (who we don't know of yet as the Education Department is still working on getting us a new one). I joked that the new teacher might be mean and make him do all of his homework and his reading. You should have seen the look on Angus's face. He looked totally shocked and horrified. To be honest though I hope this new Principal will make him do his work. He needs to get into a good habit of doing his homework for when he starts High School in 2009.

5 comments:

George, Group Admin said...

Please let your friend know that he is not alone with Merkel Cell Cancer. We are a group of 163 patients, family members supporting patients, and survivors of merkel cell cancer that have come together to share the experience of this very rare cancer.

Please invite him to stop by our web site at http://groups.google.com/group/merkelcell

George
Group Admin & MCC Survivor

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thank you very much George I will certainly let him (or his wife)know about the support group.
I'm going to write down the link to give to the school so that they can send it to them.

George, Group Admin said...

I am concerned that I have not heard from your friend with merkel cell cancer. We, as a group, would not want them to go through this alone.


George

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Hello George

My friend is a very private person and perhaps he is still thinking about joining the group. I am sure that when he is ready he will join.

George, Group Admin said...

There are some very important things to know about merkel cell cancer. One is that time is not on anyone's side, even a few weeks can make a different in some types of treatment. Two there is open access information on the site that is available to all. We have other Australian members under treatment, he is not alone.

George